Week 8 - Heirloom #52ancestors

Initially when thinking about what to write about for this weeks post, I couldn't think of any heirlooms that had been passed down in the family. I them thought of my grandmother's letters and photographs.

When my grandmother Ilse Frankenbusch left her home in Vienna, Austria in 1938, she left behind her mother Hulda and grandmother Gisela. These letters are from Hulda and Gisela to Ilse through out the war and tell of the hardships that they faced in exile as they were Jewish.

I inherited these letters in 2004 after my grandfather died and my father and his sisters had no idea that they existed until I went through them all. My aunt used the letters to tell the story of their war time experiences which has been published and is called "Escape to Auschwitz".

In January this year I donated the letters to the Wiener Library in London. The Wiener Library is the world's oldest Holocaust Library and I know they will be looked after and they will allow the letters to be used by other researchers researching the Holocaust.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Sheep

Week 6 - Favourite Name